During our first “Showcase University” we enjoyed learning about the University of the West of England (UWE) which is in Bristol. We were greeted by Emily Cowley who is the Regional Director, Americas ([email protected]). Here are some of the highlights of what we learned:
- Enrollment is made up of 27,000 students with 4,000 international students from 140 different countries.
- Award winning Careers/Employability Services – http://www.gradlinkuk.com (career site created and owned by UWE which links students with global employment opportunities, a blog, and other career related resources).
- Bristol is the most livable, kindest, and friendliest city in the UK (http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-39320118).
- New Business/Law School
- Dorms (or as they say in the UK accommodations) available for all students as long as they put down their enrollment deposit by May 1 each year.
- International students are met at the airport, given assistance to register with the doctor/dentist, set up a bank account, register for their classes, and with social orientation.
- Strong BA/MA program in animation. While we were visiting the animation program we met Maddie who is a first year student from the United States.
I was impressed by the quality of instruction, emphasis on preparing students for their prospective careers, friendliness of the students and instructors, and a genuine interest in having students from the United States apply and enroll.